The first building, named after St. Scholastica, was built in 1914. The word “Pax” in bas relief is embossed above its arched foyer. This building houses the school’s reception area and, since a few years ago, the Amrhein Gallery in what used to be the main parlor. (A new parlor for the sisters’ guests was built a few meters way, beside the chapel, in 2005.) On the big staircase landing stands a tall welcoming statue of St. Scholastica with a stained glass backdrop, a recent addition. The second floor used to be the library. Today, it houses high school classrooms and administration offices.
Behind the reception hall is the Sacred Heart courtyard, and a little further, toward St. Gertrude, is another courtyard. Running beside these two courtyards is an airy corridor with classic columns reminiscent of medieval abbeys.
The white statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is surrounded by arcades and columns decorated in Ionic and Corinthian styles, and details ranging from Doric haunches, classical annulets and abacus to the simple “bonded ring”. The second courtyard, known as St. Hildegard’s Garden, is a patch of greenery right outside the boarders’ refectory used to be.
In the Benedictine annals was written: “The Romanesque style, with light but firm walls, the high, airy rooms with a magnificent view of the bay, the hilly landscape, the two inner yards, bounded by colonnades of carved pillars, give the combined impression of the simplicity and usefulness of a venerable cloister and a modern college.”
Down the arched hall from St. Scholastica is St. Gertrude (named after St. Gertrude the Great, a Benedictine), where the classrooms have distinct tall capiz windows that look out to stone tables under the acacia trees in the school’s open field.