2560 Leon Guinto Street

Singalong, Malate, Manila




School Chapel

The chapel was built in 1922, but the Romanesque architecture that inspired it dates back to about 1000 AD. It is typical of medieval European Romanesque abbeys with a magnificent rose window on the west end and a grand ceiling framed by trusses with ascending brown arches. In the chapel is a wooden statue of Our Lady, to whom many Scholastican brides have offered their bouquets. A huge pipe organ is played on very special occasions.

At the east end of the chapel in the sisters’ choir section and high above the altar is a new addition, circa December 2005. Three stained glass windows, each eleven feet tall and six feet wide, depict the Trinity, St. Benedict and St. Scholastica. Three interlocking circles which symbolize the Trinity are set above three mounts associated with each Person: Mt. Sinai, the Father; Mt. Calvary, he Son; Mt. Sion, the Holy Spirit. The designer, Don Amorsolo, a grandson of the master, Fernando Amorsolo, achieved a “painterly” effect by instructing Kraut Art Glass, which executed his design, to paint in the glass and fire it instead of using prepared glass in standard colors.

Behind the chapel is the clausura or private living quarters of the sisters.

Like the rest of the school, the chapel was reduced to rubble during the bombing of Manila by the Americans in 1945. It was restored to its original grandeur after the war and reopened on April 12, 1949. The following year, the life sized statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary was added to our Lady’s altar.