Vision and Mission
1. To reinvigorate the youth’s sense of nationalism and actively enlist them as productive members of society in nation-building through the provision of sensible and responsive education in the social sciences;
2. To heighten their awareness and understanding of key socio-economic concerns in order for them to make substantive and well-informed decisions within the area of policymaking and elections; and
3. To help the students appreciate the past, adjust to the present and work for the future with sensible discourses and activities in the social sciences;
1. To assist students in defining the relationship of the citizen to the state, highlighting the limitations of citizen rights and privileges as well as their duties and responsibilities to the state;
2. To discuss the form and structure of the Philippine government as stipulated in the 1987 Constitution as well as describe the evolution of the present government and the institutional practices of society to ensure the preservation of the country’s liberal democratic traditions;
3. To enhance the knowledge of students on socio-political theories of the west from classical to contemporary times and to appreciate the context of the development of socio-political thought;
4. To emphasize the importance of examining Jose Rizal’s socio-political ideas with contemporary social and political conditions;
5. To provide a scientific approach in analyzing culture and society and more importantly formulate viable and tangible alternatives in addressing present social issues; and
6. To examine the development of the Philippine government and society through different historical eras from the colonial years until and modern times.
School of Arts and Sciences
Dean’s Office Landline: (632) 8567-7686 (local 2292)
Faculty Landline: (632) 8567-7686 (locals 2279, 2277, and 2230)
St. Scholastica’s College Manila
2560 Leon Guinto Street,
Malate, Metro Manila
AB Political Science with specialization in International Relations
The Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with Specialization in International Relations Program explores the exercise of power in its various forms and contexts with emphasis on the practices in the Philippines, a country caught in the rapid process of social and political change. The Program provides the students conceptual, theoretical, and practical study of politics that is both challenging and responsive to the times, in preparation to the students’ chosen career in government, foreign service, law, politics, education and research.
Vision and Mission
• To manifest functional or working knowledge of political, socio-cultural and historical concepts, theories, philosophies and principles;
• To exhibit a pro-active role in the school, organizational, and societal events/transactions; and
• To show willingness to be agents of positive social transformation in the areas of school advocacies: women, children, environment and just peace.
• To produce individuals who are capable of participating in political exercises and at the same time having the ability to be very conversant on pertinent social and political concerns of the past and that of the present;
• To educate students on the discourses of political science and manifestations and implications of these discourses on political processes, personalities and institutions in the domestic and international setting; and
• To enlist students as responsible professionals, an individual with a balance of values and technical skills.
Competencies of the Program
• To operationalize political concepts and theories in studying the dynamics and operations of government institutions and how said institutions interact with societal actors and economic variables;
• To initiate change and reform in the political system and address important societal issues utilizing the due process or rule of law;
• To instill a mindset of being analytical in discerning social and political concerns;
• To have a substantial understanding how government works and more importantly, how as citizens act as partners to make government effective and efficient; and
• To practice moral standards of accountability and transparency grounded what is collectively beneficial for society.
Social Sciences General Education subjects
• Philippine History
• Philippine Government and the Constitution
• Rizal / SPT (Socio-Political Thought)
Back to School of Arts & Sciences