Flat Preloader Icon



Founder of the Missionary Benedictine
Congregation of monks


Fr. Andreas Amrhein, OSB founded the Missionary Benedictine Congregation of monks. He founded the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing to help in the mission work in the following year, 1885.


The first five German Sisters: M. Ferdinanda Hoelzer, Sr. Petronilla Keller, Sr. Crescentia Veser, Sr. Winfrieda Mueller, and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer arrived on Philippine soil on September 14, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.

The first school in a windowless wagon-shed along Moriones Street, Tondo opened for the first three grades on December 3. The first enrolment was 8 children (2 boys and 6 girls) from well-to-do families and 50 boys and girls in the “Free School.”


The Sisters transferred from Morioness Street to their new home in San Marcelino  Street. The lot was donated by the Most Rev. Jeremias Harty,  hen Archbishop of Manila.


Government recognition was granted to the new school with the official title: ST. SCHOLASTICA’S COLLEGE. The Conservatory of Music was opened by Sr. Baptista Battig, OSB which pioneered music education in the Philippines.

On Christmas eve of 1907,
they moved to #134 San Marcelino Street

Sisters’ house in Singalong in 1912, while the school building was under construction


Construction of the new building started on a bigger church lot in Singalong offered by Archbishop Harty. At early dawn on the day before Christmas, the Sisters, together with some student boarders, moved to the new address 1532 Pennsylvania Avenue.


The first 3 AB students graduated.


The Educational Survey Commission and the Board of  Education Survey named St. Scholastica’s College one of the two schools maintaining the “highest standards with reference to the physical plant, equipment, teaching personnel, and methods of instruction.”


St. Scholastica’s College was sealed as “property of the Japanese Imperial Forces.” Part of the school was converted into a hospital and the school became a sanctuary for people who suffered from the terrors of war.


On February 13, an incendiary bomb set St. Cecilia’s Conservatory of Music on fire. The other buildings were also razed to the ground. All the buildings were gone except the small wooden structures: the free school, the old home economics building, and kindergarten.

Sister Battig

founder of the Music Department in SSC in her younger days as a concert pianist in Germany


After a period of reconstruction and renewal, the school re-opened its doors to the students.  The pursued goal was ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: EDUCATION OF FINISHED WOMEN OF CHARACTER.


The school was granted its first accreditation by The Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) and was made a chartered member of the association.


St. Scholastica’s College declared its commitment to social justice and peace, drew up a statement on the components of a socially-oriented school and adopted the theme: EDUCATION FOR JUSTICE.


An Introductory Course in WOMEN’S STUDIES was incorporated in all academic programs. The Institute of Women’s Studies (IWS) was established and an ecofeminism model farm was put up in Mendez, Cavite.


St. Scholastica’s College turned 100 years old.


The National Historical Institute (NHI) approved the unveiling of the historical marker commemorating the school’s 100-year history.


St. Scholastica’s College articulated its thrust for the next decade: Education of Transformative Women Leaders. The Ten Directions of SSC and The Ten Hallmarks of Benedictine Education (Benedictine Values) were formulated.


The Corporators decided that St. Scholastica’s College will remain a Women’s college.


A College graduate topped (Rank 1) the Licensure Examinations in Guidance and Counseling


The new five-story St. Cecilia’s Building was blessed and inaugurated. It houses the School of Music, the College Library (Print and Non-Print Sections), the Music Library, the Corazon Aquino Recital Hall, the HRM Laboratories, and two function halls.

The New St. Cecilia’s Building


The Friedenshaus Hotel School was blessed on July 26.


The School of Music was named a Center of Excellence in Music Education by the Commission on Higher Education. Two College graduates ranked 5th and 8th in the Licensure Examination for Teachers.