Welcome to St. Scholastica’s College
St. Scholastica’s College is a Catholic institution recognized by the Department of Education (DepEd) and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). It is a charter member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). Since its foundation in 1906, St. Scholastica’s College has been administered by the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing. Starting with the elementary grades, it admitted high school students in 1907 and opened its collegiate department in 1920. It pioneered formal music education in the Philippines, opening a Conservatory of Music in 1907 which, to the present, has turned out most of the leading women musicians of the country. Within its 3.6 hectare campus is an enrollment of 4,837 (figure as of September 2013) elementary, secondary, college and graduate students. On December 3, 2007, the National Historical Institute (NHI) approved the unveiling of the historical marker commemorating the school’s 100 year history. In 2012, the Friedenshaus Hotel School was opened and in 2013, the School of Music was named as a Center of Excellence in Music Education by the Commission on Higher Education.
St. Scholastica’s College offers the following:
• an elementary education from Pre-Kinder to Grade 6
• a four-year day high school education (Grade 7 to 10)
• a two-year senior high school education (Grade 11 to 12)
• a five-year night secondary education (for disadvantaged but academically deserving women)
• a four-and five-year tertiary education
• graduate programs
St. Scholastica’s College (SSC) and its immediate environs
Aerial View of the campus courtesy byAllan Roño.
St. Scholastica’s College (SSC) is one of the Philippines’ most prestigious and progressive colleges for women. The College sits on a 3.66 hectare (36,655.50 square meters) lot and is located within the city limits of Manila, once popularly known as the “gateway to the orient”. It is bounded by Estrada Street on the north, P. Ocampo Street (formerly Vito Cruz) on the south, Singalong Street on the east and Leon Guinto Street on the west. It lies a block away from Taft Avenue where the Light Rail Transit (LRT) is conveniently situated.
The school campus is a stone’s throw away from two (2) co-educational Catholic institutions of higher learning run by the Christian Brothers, the De La Salle University (DLSU) and the DLSU – College of St. Benilde. Right across the school campus, along Estrada Street, is SSC’s Institute of Women’s Studies. The Institute was established in 1989 as a growing concern for consciousness raising regarding women’s issues. Today, it serves as venue for various training programs and the six-month Intercultural Course on Women Studies designed for women in the Asia-Pacific region interested in pursuing a course focused on developing a gender fair society.
Not too far from the campus is the Rizal Memorial Complex where various sports event, both national and international, are held. A few minute walk from it finds one enjoying the famous sunset of Manila Bay and Manila’s cultural activities. Situated by the Bay is the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), a venue for the visual and performing arts. Adjacent to it are the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) and the World Trade Center (WTC) which play host to local and international conferences and exhibitions.
Across the CCP and right beside the Central Bank of the Philippines (CBP) is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The museum houses various art works and has on permanent loan from the CBP its extensive collection of excavated pre-Hispanic Philippine gold jewelry.
The school campus is likewise located close to historical sites. By car or public transportation, one will take only a few minutes to get to the famed Walled City – Intramuros, which was built in the 16th century by the Spaniards. After the devastation wrought by World War II, nothing much remained of Intramuros except for a few ruins. Today, within its remaining walls, one can visit Casa Manila (a museum showcasing Philippine colonial furniture), the 16th century San Agustin Church which has an extensive collection of religious images, the Manila Cathedral (an impressive romanesque structure made entirely of Philippine adobe) and Fort Santiago (where the country’s national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, wrote the poem Mi Ultimo Adios [My Last Farewell] as a final legacy to his people).
A short walk from Intramuros is the country’s National Museum. Here one will find a rich collection of the visual arts, rare artifacts and archaeological finds tracing the history and culture of different countries and their people. Across the National Museum is the Rizal National Park (formerly Luneta Park) where Dr. Jose P. Rizal, the country’s National Hero, was executed on December 30, 1896.
Strategically situated within city limits, SSC is a 20-minute drive to the Makati Central Business District. It is close to shopping centers and a number of international hotels which cater to both local and foreign tourists.